- Why did we start?
- What changes have we seen?
Why did we start?
Simple answer: Chance regurgitates commercial food and she won't eat it unless we add canned food and/or fresh meat to eat it.
We've tried floating kibble and soaking kibble but she regurgitated it anywhere from multiple times per day to once every week or 2.
Even canned food required us to thin it with water or it would come back up.
Her ZiwiPeak Air Dried raw food was the best commercial food we tried because it was a soft jerky but even that we had to float in water and add in canned food or meat to get her to eat it. But she did still regurgitate it every couple of weeks.
We could have chosen to feed a pre-made raw.
Long-story short, to feed pre-made raw to a 54-56 lb. active dog is prohibitively expensive!
After spending several years researching home-prepared diets, I decided cooking food was just too much hard work and raw was the way to go.
What changes have we seen?
With each commercial food change we made, we saw positive changes in Chance.
The changes going from Evo to ZiwiPeak was astounding.
She had more energy but because the ZP was a low-carb food, that energy was steady instead of coming in hyperactive bursts after she ate.
We went from having to give her allergy pills for her allergies to not needing to give her anything.
Her coat became very shiny and the texture softened, it also shed dirt and water easier.
She no longer smelled like a dog, even when wet.
We didn't expect to see many changes going to prey model raw from ZP.
Were we in for a shock!
- She loves raw food. No need to add anything to get her to eat it which saves money!
- Her coat became ultra-uber shiny. So much so that people asked us if we were adding something to her diet or spraying her coat with a shine spray.
- The texture changed further and became even softer.
- She still sheds because she is half German "Shedder" but she's shedding less fur.
- Water runs off of her instead of soaking into her undercoat.
- Since switching just over 2 months ago, we have yet to smell "Frito" feet.
- Her poops have gotten even smaller.
- Her teeth are cleaner and her gums are healthy looking.